Monday, June 28, 2010

A Divine Exchange

They most likely will return to China twice their original weights and with all sorts of stories about how they ate s'mores, played Wii and volleyball, swam, went to the theater and caught lightning bugs.  In the last three days, we have crammed a lot of American culture into our two Chinese exchange students!  When we are not entertaining them, they spend the weekdays traveling with their school group to Lancaster, Philadelphia, Washington DC and NYC for daytrips.  The Husband keeps telling me that I don't have to talk so loudly to them, but I assured him that I'm not talking any louder than I usually do.  It just sounds like I am because I'm talking slower! However, just because I am talking slower, doesn't mean that we do anything else slow around here, Chinese girls or not.  We ran just as crazy and busy this weekend as ever.  The only difference is that I got some very strange looks while the six of us walked through Costco and Kohl's for some reason??



They are very shy and quiet (just like us, ha-ha); however, we have all made it our mission to make them laugh and it works most of the time.  They especially liked watching America's Funniest Home Videos and The Husband's impersonation of someone playing an aggressive game of table tennis!  My maternal instinct kicked in as soon as I saw them, and with each new day, we are all getting more comfortable with one another.  As we watched them file in late Friday night, I had a big lump in my throat and tears threatening to spill over as I imagined how their parents must feel being so far away from their precious only children.  I decided I would love them like I would want someone to love my own child if I ever lost my mind and sent her away to a foreign country to live with strangers.  These beautiful girls are good for my family, since we mind our manners a little more often and try to serve them, as well as one another, out of love and a generous heart.  My own girls have made me proud this week, as they often do when I observe some of the fruit that results from years spent sowing, watering and weeding!

I would do this again in a heartbeat.  Hopefully, when the two weeks are up I will still feel the same way!

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

AWESOME! I so wanted to do that this year but the dates conflicted with our already made plans to be out of town - I was bummed. We're hoping next summer...

Have fun. You guys are a great example of Christ to all of us and now to them too :)