Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent - We All Have a Part

Somehow by the miraculous grace of God I have manged to start our much anticipated Advent activities (or, as #3 says, Mom, what are we doing tonight for "Abdomen"? I have no idea why...she never had a problem remembering it is called Advent before).  But, oddly enough since our theme is Parts of the Body (of Christ) I guess we can call it Abdomen to be "punny".

I am in the midst of working on my final project for the Class O'Dread I am taking, so there wasn't much time to prepare what we would do.  I always like to make up my own Advent theme/activities and the girls have grown to look forward to it expectantly.  So, I prayed and felt like the Lord was going to give me ideas like manna.  One day at a time.  I didn't really like the one day at a time idea, because I am a planner.  I felt as if He told me I was more than welcome to prepare Advent activities and scriptures in advance without Him, but if I wanted it to be His heart and life-changing then I was to follow His plan....one day at a time.  Funny how I thought I was doing something for the kids and here is our gracious God working on my heart that likes to carry out its own agenda at times when God's plans don't make much sense in that moment.

So, each night after dinner, I pray and God gives me a scripture and literally within five minutes I have a teaching and activities. And, while the little object lessons are fun, we have ended up discussing some deep issues each night about feeling defeated, insecure and gossiping when we were not even aware we do it.  We end each lesson with the good news that God can heal us, help us to live more like Him and to be a true blessing to everyone around us!  Our main Advent verse is 1 Corinthians 12:12:

Your body has many parts—limbs, organs, cells—but no matter how many parts you can name, you're still one body. It's exactly the same with Christ.

Any other families out there doing an Advent study?  It's not too late to start!  Here is a link to some ideas and if you type "Advent" in my search box, you will get various posts over the last three years about things we have done.  The Internet is also a great source to get additional ideas, but let God lead you....even if it is one day at a time!

No comments: