Monday, December 6, 2010

"Passionate Patience"

I love my life despite:

  • my mini-van with 144,000 miles on it is going into the shop tomorrow for who knows what's wrong with it
  • the medical bills from #2's procedure that are still outstanding
  • being disappointed and defeated in certain circumstances
  • enduring a college class that I have really been struggling in
  • needing to lose about 30 pounds and not finding the time or motivation to do anything about it
When our circumstances seem as if we get over one mountain, only to find another one, I am comforted by this:

Romans 5:3-5 (The Message version)


There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!


 
In the midst of the struggles and difficulties I find myself in, something is changing inside of me.  I am more grateful for our health and our home and the food we have on our table.  I have a hope that when God allows the storms to pass through it is only so that we can grow in character and wisdom.  I need to take all of my problems out of the spotlight and instead, choose to shine that light on my loving God. 
 
  • Thank you, God for a vehicle that is paid for and has lasted us so long.
  • Thank you, Lord that those medical tests that #2 had done showed us that she has nothing that is life-threatening or severe.
  • Thank you, God that your plan is bigger than just the parts I can see.
  • Thank you, Lord that this Law & Ethics class is over in a week!
  • Thank you, God for sweatpants and stretchy jeans....alright, I probably need to work on this one!

 

No comments: