Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why I May End Up A One Hit Wonder

Now that the excitement of having my first story published has died down (as in I don't keep opening up the magazine 42 times a day and staring at it, then going to the website and looking at it), I started thinking it just may be one of those things that was a fluke.

I think I may be a One Hit Wonder in the writing world! There are several factors that have led me to this theory.

1. They edited it. Not terribly, but they still took out relevant information to the story and "polished" it up a bit. One part that was specifically chopped was a comment I made about going to work (the thing I actually get paid to do, unlike my acting career). They left out the part that said "unlike my acting career" which sort of leads the reader to believe that I am complaining about the lack of compensation being a mom brings in. And, I LOVE the chaos called motherhood. Love it. The reward far outweighs the stress! So, apparently, I don't like being "edited" very much. And, I freaking LOVE being a MOM!! Okay?

2. I have no idea what I'll ever write about again. People are already asking what the "next story" will be about. I don't think I'm going to have many days like the day that provided the inspiration for that story...part of me sort of hopes not (and, as sick as it sounds, part of me hopes I do have more days like that). So, I'm just sort of hanging out and seeing where we go from here. The last thing I ever want to do is try too hard....except that I did sign up to donate blood for my first time on December 11th thinking it would make a good blog post and, well, you know it could save someone's life and all.....

3. I have no time. Squeaking out 2-3 blog posts a week means giving up that load of laundry that needs to be folded, or the dishes that need to be washed or that time that could be wasted on ebay or facebook. And, need I mention that we are in the beginning of our Advent season, which was off to a fine start until my lame lesson tonight that should have been called "Mommy Did Not Prepare Tonight's Lesson So Let's Try To Follow Along While She Wings It". Not one of my shining moments, but gosh darn it, at least we read a scripture verse or two even if there was no common theme between them. A story of a lady taking her last breath somehow ended with talking about the yokes on oxen and how Jesus takes our heavy "yokes" and gives us His lighter one. The only thing my kids will ever remember from tonight is that a "yoke" is not a "yolk". So, that scripture in Matthew makes a whole lot more sense to them now that they aren't trying to figure out what eggs have to do with anything.

So, I guess for now I'm happy with my 7 regular followers and occasional wacko that ends up reading my blog. As cool as it is to see my name and story and picture in print, I'm just not striving to do it on a regular basis. However, the possibility exists that one day I'll write an Advent devotion on death and egg yolks...but until then, you'll just have to catch me here on the blogosphere.

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

LOL - you always crack me up. And for the record, I don't love being edited either. A habit my grammar perfect oldest son has decided to LAUNCH on me in conversation. :) UGH.

So now I'm forced to wonder. Am I a follower or a wacko?