Friday, January 15, 2010

Halfway Never Felt So Good (Kinda)

I'm on Day Five of my ten-day Daniel fast. Click here if you are wondering what that is and why I'm doing it. I thought I'd share some thoughts that I've had during the process:


1. Water is my friend.


2. Yummy foods besides fruits and vegetables are allowed because they don't come from an animal. For example, nuts, oatmeal & brown rice have become a daily staple for me. I've had to read a lot of labels to make sure I'm not eating anything with sugar.


3. The only thing I have not followed strictly was a little bit of honey in my oatmeal since my blueberries that I throw in are very tart this time of year. I prayed about it and felt like I wasn't going to get all legalistic and crazy about it. I also had a tiny, teeny bit of salad dressing on two salads this week. The Husband assures me God will not love me less.


4. I finally woke up on the fourth day with no headache. And, strangely I woke up today with more of a craving for eggs then coffee. Who knew?

5. A "taco salad" with no meat and cheese is okay. Barely okay, but okay.


6. The weekend is coming up and this is where the real challenge lies. I'm getting a little sick of black beans and rice, salad and vegetable soup. My routine is what has helped when the cravings hit, but our weekends are spent running and/or with friends. Part of me is invigorated by it all and part of me is curled up in the fetal position in the corner of the room begging for a piece of garlic bread.


7. Brown sugar Pop Tarts smell so good when they come out of the toaster.


8. God has brought to light a few things that have been a little "out of whack" in our family. With that realization has come conflict, but The Husband and I are standing firm on the word of God. I figured we don't get a second chance to raise our kids to be obedient, pure, and respectful....gotta take the time to do it right. And, this post by the Gang's Momma was a great reminder that there is no "I" in TEAM.


A week from now the fast will be over, but I know we will come out of it with healthier bodies, souls and spirits!

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

I never mind the linkage - especially when you say such nice things :) And tell #3 that my #3 will be in church this Sunday. And that I hope she feels better. And that she rocks. :)