Sunday, January 24, 2010

Look Out Jillian Michaels....

....Melissa is heading back to the gym. Oh yeah!


I realized during my ten day fast how much I missed taking care of myself! I mentioned that in the beginning of the fast all I seemed to do was sleep. And, it was a peaceful time (aside from the raging headaches and dizziness). Now that it is over, I'm not ready to give up the rest! I'm not talking about tons of sleep, but that "state of being" where my mind is not racing.


I realized that I was never made to function purely on caffeine. I was not designed to draw energy (or have energy sucked out of me) from other people or my circumstances. My days are better spent talking and listening to the Holy Spirit, whose quiet voice can seldom be heard above the roar of my lifestyle. Being made uncomfortable from physical hunger and cravings was nothing compared to a life void of a relationship with Jesus Christ, the One we should truly hunger after. I don't want to live my life carelessly. Every day counts!


Along with all the amazing time spent with the Lord, I realized it was time to take better care of myself physically. I am now a huge fan of water. I limit myself to 2 cups of coffee per day (it used to be 5-6) and soda/sugar only on special occasions. I also read the labels on everything now! If sugar or corn syrup is listed in the top 5 ingredients it goes back on the shelf! This week, I'm headed out to join Planet Fitness. I have really missed the gym in the last year and a half, so I am excited to get back into it.


You may be wondering if my other commitments have decreased. No, not at all! In fact, I am coming up on a super busy week! But, rather than jam my weekend full of more commitments (sleepovers, company coming over, etc.), I will take the time to rest.

In fact, since it is Sunday afternoon I think I'll go practice "resting" right now!

No comments: