Friday, January 22, 2010

A Letter to My Senator

In case you all didn't hear about Senator Arlen Specter's exchange with Rep. Michelle Bachmann, you can check it out here first so my post makes more sense.

I listened to the way Sen. Specter (whom I am not a big fan of to begin with) spoke to this woman. And, yes, she interrupted him. But, his remarks to her that she should "act like a lady" and he would "treat her like a lady" were so off base it prompted me to do something about it, instead of just complaining. Hello? Sen. Specter, it isn't 1847 anymore....in fact, women can vote now and guess what? They won't want to vote for you if you say stupid things like "act like a lady".

I encourage all of you to contact him, too! Unless of course you believe his remarks were right on and Rep. Bachmann should have acted more like a perfect little lady and let him say whatever he wanted to say to get her to shut up. Click here to contact him. Here is what my email said:


Dear Senator Specter,

I was appalled to hear your comments from the radio debate with Michelle Bachmann. Admittingly, I am not a registered Democrat, but I am a woman. I am not a feminist, but I am a hard working, happily married mother of three. I was offended by your arrogant remarks that you made to Rep. Bachmann. What exactly were you implying when you told her repeatedly to "act like a lady"? Was that your way of intimidating her into silence? For her to be seen and not heard? What exactly would you have told a male you were debating? To "act like a man?”


I find it awful that so many elected officials of the Democratic party now in office behave so smugly and arrogantly, as if you have the right to say whatever you want. Meanwhile, you crucify Rep. Joe Wilson for his remarks (which I also believe were out of line; however, it is completely one-sided in how these things are dealt with). Apparently, your disrespect holds no accountability. May I remind you, sir, who you work for? The people of Pennsylvania, half of which are women.

An apology is in order, Senator Specter and I would hope you would use this as a learning experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have written a few letters/emails to Senator Spector over the last few years. I would be interested so hear his 'response'...if any. I get virtually the same response from his office every time I send something.

Kudos to you for taking the time to write. Not enough people do that...

When I write to Bob Casey - it's the same...I get almost the same response every time.

However, when I write to Tim Holden - I get a personally written and signed multi-page letter in the mail in response to my questions and comments. he addresses them directly in his response..and I like that.