Friday, July 30, 2010

FC3 Was the Place to Be!!


I'm barely awake pecking at my keyboard since, over the past six days, I may have slept an average of 6.5 hours per night.  That would be just fine if I had not also been playing soccer, floor hockey, softball, tennis, volleyball, climbing a rock wall, hiking, horseback riding, and scaring myself silly on a high ropes course (no matter which of the forty-eight contiguous states you reside in, I'm certain you heard me scream on my way down the zip line in the pitch blackness).

We were at Family Camp III at Camp Hebron for our sixth year.  While there are certainly a variety of fun activities from sun up to well past sun down, that isn't what keeps us coming back.  It's the people and the relationships that result after a week of basically living, playing, eating, learning and sharing together like family. 

This is also a place to do some reflecting.  To take a step back from the "busy-ness" of life and focus more on God and family. I usually experience some revelation about myself that I can easily mask (or, try to) when surrounded by the distractions of the normal day-to-day. Whether it be an ability, a gift or a character flaw, this is the place to discover it! There is something appealing to me and completely liberating about walking that high ropes course fighting the fear, yet determined to make it.  Then, there is the loss of control when I push myself off the platform and TRUST that the harness is going to keep me safe as I free fall into darkness. It reminds me every time I'm sitting up there...I can wait to drop off the edge for thirty seconds or thirty minutes, but in either case the outcome is the same. The ride is exhilarating and most importantly, safe.  Reminds me a little bit of following after God's heart...we can trust Him now or later.  Why wait?

I have some new goals and a few things I'm praying about. One major burden was lifted off of me this week. I'm not going to try to figure out everything for the future.  I am never really at rest...I'm usually trying to figure out what happens next.  God's timing is perfect and when I worry about tomorrow (or next week, month or year), it makes today difficult to enjoy.  It can really drain the joy right out of me if I don't trust that God has a plan for me and my family.

If you have never been to a Family Camp and you want to be refreshed, please check out Camp Hebron's website.  You won't be disappointed...in fact, it might just be life changing!


 

1 comment:

SuzGriffin04 said...

Beautifully said Melissa!!! :) I LOVE FC3. There is just something about that place, it's like a secret place away from the craziness of my 'normal' life. I'm already excited to go back and I, too, have things to pray and ponder about from this week. Thanks for sharing! :)