Friday, August 27, 2010

Her Name Meant Life


It was a sad day.  Very suddenly, our eleven-year old cat, Zoe, drug herself by the front paws across our living room floor, flopped down and was panting.  Thank goodness I took off work today.  The girls and I rushed her to the vet to find out that an x-ray confirmed she had heart disease and a blood clot had broken off into her blood stream and had cut off the blood flow to her legs.  She was on oxygen and the vet explained that since she was in a lot of pain, the most loving thing we could do was put her to sleep. I have never in my entire life had to endure this. We said a quick good-bye because I just could not prolong her suffering (and ours) any longer.  I signed the paperwork, they put her to sleep and I carried her out in a cardboard kitty coffin that made me feel as if I was just putting a cake in the trunk of my car.  Not my sweet Zoe.  Because the little dear was just on my lap the night before as I did my homework at the computer.  How in the world did this happen, our morning had been so normal?? 

Grief is a peculiar thing.  Each of the girls processed it differently and out of respect for their feelings, I'm not going to get into details about that.  Of course, she is a cat, not a human being, however, she was a part of the family and we choose her when she was an 8-week old kitten almost eleven years ago.

The Husband came home from work and buried her on our property with a cross marking her grave.  The girls all have friends over now, as originally planned, but tonight is still marked with sadness.  It's been rough, but life goes on.  Thankfully, during the chaos today, I still felt God;s perfect peace guiding me and comforting me.

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Awwww, I'm so sorry, guys. We've been through it twice with our little girl kitties and it never is easier. Both times, I had to do it on my own as The Boss was out of town. I get what you mean about them being part of the family - they really do wiggle their ways into your heart, don't they!!! Hugs to you tonight - I am sorry for the loss of your Zoe-girl...