Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Two Cents on the RNC

I am, by far, no expert, but as the average American Jane I can tell you that as I watched the Republican National Convention I got caught up in it. Finally. Goosebumps and everything. I was just feeling so blah and then the Sarah Palin "controversy" hit the airwaves and it made me start to pay better attention to my party. I had not planned to watch much, if any, of the convention until I heard that she would be speaking. And, I'm so glad I tuned in!

Let me say that I was more impressed with Mike Huckabee endorsing John McCain then I was when he was in the running for the nomination. He was relaxed, funny, and I really enjoyed him pointing out that not all Republicans have grown up with satin socks (I think) and silver spoons. His emphasis on not relying on government struck such a chord with me. My second favorite line from the night....

I’m not a Republican because I grew up rich, but because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life poor, waiting for the government to rescue me.

Wolf Blitzer looked as if his skin was crawling when Mike Huckabee finished. Granted, the verbal lashing the "elite, left wing media" is receiving from the Republican Party may be causing a little tension there.

By the way, doesn't Cindy McCain just seem like such a NICE, kind person? I just loved when she reached over and rubbed baby Palin's head. Equally as sweet was his big sister licking her hand and smoothing his hair in place!

By the time Rudy came on stage, though, things were getting a little repetitive and the chanting crowd was starting to get annoying! His comments about Obama's inability to make decisions and lack of leadership were well received, but let's face it, these people were the opening acts for the person we all wanted to hear from. And, speaking of which, I am laying down my constant scrutiny of whether Sarah Palin is doing the right thing by running for VP of our country. I got it all off my chest here and now I am moving forward with the support of these two very qualified individuals. I've debated it internally and externally for long enough and I think we need to unite as moms, women, republicans, Americans, human beings, etc... and give her a chance to make the world a better place (don't I sound so young and naive in that statement?? Do you see what this convention is doing to me?? I want to be a delegate, gosh darn it! Sign me up!).

Well, when Palin came out and the crowd just continued to go wild I had tears in my eyes. She's spunky and I like that. When she addressed the families of children with special needs I teared up again. I also enjoyed hearing about her budget cuts and reform. These were not the empty campaign promises that we are so accustomed to hearing from politicians. She has a track record. And, she delivered the best line of the night.....

"Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

Then, John McCain came out and it was like icing on the cake. McCain and Palin. They're a pretty great package.

1 comment:

Mrs. C said...

It was definitely a good night. I couldn't help but think "finally...someone (Palin) is saying some of what I've been thinking."

I'm interested in seeing her in action at the debates and in the non-scripted arena.