Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Embracing This Season

Once upon a time there were three little girls....except now they aren't so little anymore.

Lately, I've been having these moments that seem frozen in time when I look at my girls. It happened the other day when #2 had a sore throat and we were going to the doctor. We had a few extra minutes (I was running early, imagine that) so we stopped for coffee at a nearby restaurant we had frequented quite often when she was still knee high to a grasshopper. We grabbed our vanilla nut coffees (hers was half decaf so please don't judge me!) and took a seat on the couch in front of the fireplace. In what seemed like an out of body experience I was transported back about 7 years to sitting in that same spot with all three girls in various stages of kindergarten through babyhood.

Gasp! It nearly took my breath away. But then, as I looked at #2 drinking her coffee smiling over at me I realized...I'm not done, yet. That phase in life may have passed, but our family is in a wonderful new stage. We can talk about things they couldn't comprehend at the age of 2 and we can hope and pray and dream together for what the future holds. I am watching these girls grow into women who seek after God.

And, the beauty of it all is that they are still young. They still call me Mama or Mommy. They still hold my hand and snuggle up on the couch. And, #2 still wears her sparkly shoes, even with a cup of vanilla nut coffee in hand!

No comments: