Monday, March 3, 2008

Can Someone Please Explain to Her She Has to Stop Growing Up at the Speed of Light?

She knows her phone number and she read me a Clifford book the other night while my mouth was hanging open in complete surprise. She sounded those words out when just a few months ago she didn't even know what half the letters in the alphabet were.

Today we picnicked after kindergarten at the park where she told me I didn't need to push her on the swings anymore because she "can do it" now.

I hope there is a phone nearby to call 911 when she learns to tie her shoes because at that moment my heart will shatter into a million pieces because (sob) my baby is growing up and there is nothing I can do about it.

Until recently I have rejoiced over #3's milestones....who wouldn't? She dresses herself, brushes her teeth and goes potty....what is not to love about that? She even sets the table without being asked and feeds the dog. She has always been the most independent of all my girls (until nightfall when she melts like butter into my lap). And, I am so very proud of the young lady she is growing into.

BUT, I look at my almost teenager in her Hollister t-shirt and jeans (the uniform of middle schools) and think I just can't imagine #3 that age....but, she will be and she's getting closer every day. I really don't struggle like this with the other 2 girls because there will always be that little someone to "baby" when her 2 older sisters grow out of their current stage in life and move onto new things.

Perhaps, her independence is what saves me from going completely off the deep end...I mean, I seriously would not know what to do if she would cling to my leg at the doorway of school each day and sob. I'm thinking I would be re-visiting the home school option! But, I have no fear, because she hops out of the van and confidently strolls through the doors and has a life all to herself for the next two and a half hours.

And, let me tell you....it is bittersweet.

2 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

I have three words for you: A DOP TION! I am hating how quickly BBE is growing up, and I daily beg him to stop. DAILY! But he always reminds me that this is how Jesus made little boys to be - to gwow up and be cowboys in da West. So, I remember that I have anther coming along - maybe by then they'll figure out how to halt the growth of our little ones. I hear that the scientific community of mommies is working on that :)

Livin' Life said...

I feel the same way with Drama King. next year will be the big Kindergarten transition. We kept him back a year. This will be an all day program and I am already hating the idea. They grow up too quickly.