Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Treadmill, God, and the Auto Shop (That Sounds Sort of Like a Narnia Movie)

I went to the gym the other night after everyone went to bed (The Husband gets up at 4:30 am for work so he's usually in bed by 9pm). I liked going to the gym because this is usually a time for me to read and stuff my face. And, I also got to use the MP3 player #1 usually takes on the bus to drown out the profanity! As I listened to The David Crowder Band it felt like I was worshiping the Lord. After awhile I was on the treadmill with my arms raised and began to pray. It felt so good to be in His Presence like that.

Earlier that day I was explaining my work situation to another mom I had just met at MIA and she said something interesting to me. I told her that for the first time ever beginning in April, I would not be working anywhere. Even when #1 was a newborn I babysat another child for the income. I told her I felt kind of guilty not working while my kids were away at school (even though #3 is only gone in the am). She told me that this may be exactly what the Lord wants so I can SOAK in Him. Perhaps, this time focusing in on Him and just sitting at His feet more than ever before is required for the next phase I move into. So, on the treadmill I talked to Him about this. I asked if this was really His timing or my frustration at wanting to be done with a job that I was never really passionate about to begin with? God, I asked, if that is what you want, I don't want to fret and stress anymore about the provision; I trust You. And, then do you know what happened? My treadmill slowed down and I looked at the display and it said:

GOAL ATTAINED

I was done with my workout, but the message was so timely in regards to what I was praying in my spirit. It brought tears to my eyes as I realized God was speaking to me through a treadmill! I know some of you are thinking I've completely lost it. But, those words have inspired me. He wants me to get to a place of trusting Him by choice, and not because I've tried to fix things on my own and trusting Him is my last resort. Deep was crying out to deep, at last!

So, now I am tuning in to hear His voice even more than before and already He made an open door to pray for the owner of the auto shop where my car was getting inspected yesterday (which believe it or not, I just noticed 2 days ago my inspection was due in OCTOBER!!). But, God knows what He is doing because I happened to be there at just the right time to hear this man tell someone on the phone that his wife was too ill to leave on a trip they had planned for today. He allowed me to pray for her and then talked to me for about 10 minutes about the health struggles she has experienced since 2001. He sounded weary and I think that God blew a breath of fresh air on His soul yesterday. And, if you think of it, please join me in praying for Ann for a complete healing and that God gets the glory. And, I don't share this with you to act all super-spiritual, I'm just hoping maybe someone who reads this will have a boost in their faith, as well. There is no formula, but so often through the Bible it says if we do __________, then God will do __________. I don't think it was a coincidence that I had an encounter with God on the treadmill and then I just happened to run into someone in need of a major healing.

God is cool like that.

5 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I love how God speaks to us in different ways - love the "Goal Attained". :)

Livin' Life said...

That is wonderful. Remember your post about looking for an opportunity for God to use you in your daily life. HE DID IT & You did it!! I am so excited for you and you encourage me to walk in more trust!!!

The Gang's Momma! said...

It's a good thing that God is cool like that, cuz I am so NOT. I have a feeling I miss so many chances to act on the needs of others - I do a lot of the "coulda had a v8!" type of catching up to His promptings.

I love that you look for Him to speak to you in the every day.

But a treadmill? The only voice I heard when I would venture on to mine was the evil one speaking of donuts and cappucinos and chocolate chip cookie dough. I sold it. And used the money to join a gym. :)

Trish said...

I appreciate you for posting about your journey with the whole job situation and how the Lord is leading you through it day by day. What's that song - "Joy in the Journey"?

missy said...

This was an amazing post! You gave me a lift in my spirit and inspired me to go get on the elliptical...in the span of three minutes! That is just unprecedented.

Thank you!