Thursday, September 13, 2007

Only #2!


I have to laugh, but also thank God for the gifts He has placed in my children. #2 stayed home from school yesterday and today with strep throat. So, you would think she is laying around on the couch watching TV or sleeping, right? No, she is cleaning out my car. Earlier she read for a while while I have been working in my "office" (it's really a corner of my bedroom) and she came and asked me where the trash bags are.

One of her gifts is "helping". She will scoop cat litter as her sisters run screaming from the room. I am so thankful for (and inspired by) her willingness to serve, even when it is behind the scenes! We both decided this will be our last season for soccer and she is thinking about what she would like to do next. I've suggested dance, gymnastics, indoor soccer, piano lessons and she doesn't seem thrilled about any of them. But, when I mentioned taking her down to help at the Food Ministry her eyes lit up and she asked when we could go. I guess "training up your child in the way they should go" means a variety of different things that may not always be the "norm". I hope I am always sensitive to that and never force them to do something that just isn't how God wired them.

4 comments:

This Journey of Mine said...

Oh Melissa, she is going to make such an awesome wife and mom. And you get to be the one who can encourage her into all of that. Think if her heart is already about serving and helping out, what is she going to be like someday when she is married and a mom? She'll be awesome because she will have already grown in that most important area...servanthood!

Anonymous said...

way cool for you both

Melissa said...

I agree with On Fire...we joke that she is going to have at least 7 kids one day!

The Gang's Momma! said...

That's so cool! What an awesome gift. As one who is married to a man with a total servant's heart, I can vouch for what great spouses they make. He's caring and generous and willing to do the stuff that others run from the room screaming about :) And I love how you are serving her by encouraging her (here in this post) and by giving her opportunities to enlarge that gift. You are a great mommy :)