Friday, April 20, 2007

Ode to Tortoni, Tabouli and All Foods Foreign


Let me set the record straight.
This is not me drinking from a cup....it is me trying to suck the most delicious, delightful amazing ice cream on the planet into my mouth. I had a coupon from my entertainment book so that this delectable quart of Mazzoli's Tortoni cost me a mere $2.50. I couldn't wait to get it home so I decided to squeeze the container so that the little bit that was melting around the edges could be sucked into my mouth. My children were asking me what I was doing and I'm sure while stopped at traffic signals I was getting some strange looks, but it is Tortoni for goodness sake!!


So, while we're on the topic of strange foreign sounding food...another item that makes my mouth water is tabouli. Now, most of you probably would not label me a very distinguished connoisseur of such ethnic sounding foods (Say Anything had to teach me the proper way to say "Gelato" after she laughed for 5 minutes at my own feeble pronunciation).

But, let me assure you...there is not an ethnic cuisine I have crossed paths with that I overall dislike. You name it....Chinese, Indian, French, Cuban, Mexican, Thai, Italian, Slovak, Haitian, Greek....my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Now I can definitely live without hummus and fish heads, but give me a big bowl of conch chowder, some curry and a side of sushi and I'm one happy girl! And, can I reassure you of something? I NEVER eat food just because it is trendy or "cool" to eat (or I would pretend to like hummus, right?).


I know I still owe you the McDonald's Playland story, but that's all the time we have today, folks. Tune in tomorrow (or not, since it is supposed to be a beautiful weekend!).

No comments: