Monday, February 25, 2008

Is Restlessness a Bad Thing?

Restlessness and discontent are the first necessities of progress.
Thomas A. Edison

I've been pondering my restlessness lately and trying to determine if it is a sign that I need to make some changes or if it is just a selfish response to the everyday monotony of life. Ok...not that my life is boring, it just seems lacking something. It is not at all family related, I think this is more Melissa-related. I am totally relishing my role as wife and mom, but from time to time I lose myself in it only to get to this place I'm at now. And, I'm not talking about a desire to go shopping or get my nails done. It's different.

I know part of this restlessness stems from having a part-time job that I am not passionate about, but because we rely on the income I keep on going. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being fair to my boss or myself. It's like this cloud of grace is slowly lifting off of the time I spend doing it and I find myself daydreaming about the part-time job I long for.....Event Planner, Project Manager or President of the United States of America (ha!ha!....I just wanted to see if you were paying attention!). I also feel very strongly that I would like to take off the entire summer and focus on the kids. I feel like the Lord gently reminds me that it is not time to make a switch, yet, so I should not be so concerned. I almost feel like a race horse in the gate that is jumping up and down frantically trying to paw my way out while the other horses are standing calmly waiting for the race to begin! I am considering the same thing regarding the church ministries I'm involved with, also. I'm just sort of floating about here and there and I'm ready to commit to something, but, I'm not sure what that "something" is. Of course, I've also prayed that the Lord would so bless The Husband in his job that I could spend all my time volunteering in places that just don't have the money to pay someone a salary.
We just haven't arrived at that place. Yet.

So, while restless can be a sign that something needs adjusting, it can also be a sign of impatience. I have to disagree with Mr. Thomas Edison, he oversimplifies a bit. Discontent and restlessness have to be closely evaluated to see what is motivating those feelings. Many people live in a constant state of feeling like this. And, they are miserable. Wouldn't you think that discontent is a "man made" emotion, not a God created one? I believe true progress is made when we trust our loving God and allow Him to order our steps for us.

I'm just curious of the opinions out there....is restlessness a good motivating factor or is it a sign of impatience and/or selfishness? What's your 2 cents?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

In my personal experience, when I've felt the type of restlessness that you describe, it has come just before God released me into not only something new, but something so much greater than I could ever imagine that if I hadn't had the time to let Him stir my spirit into a frenzy, I may have not been willing to take on His next assignment.

It was during the restlessness that I built courage, boldness, vision and confidence. Then when the right opportunity came, I was ready to shoot out of the gate at a full speed, not hesitating at all that this is what God had for me.

(Could that first sentence be any more of a run-on?)

Mrs. C said...

I agree with Natalie - so I'm not going to rewrite what she said.

However, I will add that there have been times when this feeling is going on that I have to remind myself to not jump or move ahead in my timing - but have patience and wait for His leading. That isn't easy. It is during these moments that I remember what a dear friend stated (I'm totally paraphrasing here) "Keep doing what I am doing until He says to change". That helps me to continue to be obedient in the NOW while my spirit is being prepared for the future.

Livin' Life said...

You have the wisdom of two wonderful women of God. I agree the Lord usually moves me into something new when this restlessness takes place. But this waiting time is mostly the Lord's time of working stuff out of me so I will be ready for whats to come. I am like you I feel like that horse and I am ready to jump at every sound but you are coming to something big that the Lord has for you and your family.
Awesome plans and purposes for you.! I will be praying for you during this time. I am never one that is good at waiting for the Lord so I understand your heart.