Thursday, November 1, 2007

Popcorn is an Equalizer

Last night was the first night I actually removed my body from the back wall of our youth sanctuary at church and did something useful. I even talked to teens I did not know.

For some reason (mommy jeans, muffin top, gray hair) every time I have walked into our youth building I become acutely aware that I am OLD and that, sadly, intimidates the heck out of me! I know that seems so shallow since I'm constantly spouting....we are fearfully and wonderfully made in His image.....but, anyway.....The Husband is officially on youth staff so I find myself drawn up there on Wednesday nights.

Last night we had an amazing outreach called The Maze. A lot of kids were there and many brought friends. I walked into the youth building to do my thing (someone needs to keep the back wall warm) and I noticed that there was one lonely youth worker behind the refreshment counter so I jumped in and made bag after bag of popcorn. As I did, kids were coming up and talking to me and I started to wonder if perhaps I wasn't as invisible as I felt up there. I feared at one point that any word of encouragement would be met with eye rolling and "whatever", but it is just not true! Their eyes shine, they smile wide and as a worst case scenario, they seem awkwardly shy by the compliments and attention.

While I am still well aware of my limitations and AGE, I know God is working. My heart is softer towards this generation! I'd be proud to serve them popcorn any night of the week! I may just get off the wall again sometime soon.

2 comments:

Beautiful Grace said...

It was great to see you pitching in!!! And, NO, you are NOT too old(I have several years on ya girl)!!!

I'm finding that kids don't care how old you are, they only care that you love them. Glad to see you around us "youth."

Have a super-blessed day!!!

The Gang's Momma! said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Popcorn is quite possibly the world's most perfect food. Ask Natalie - she is a fellow expert :)

Glad to hear that you are finding your niche - they are blessed to have you. Your kind, compassionate heart and zealous, (dare I say "sassy?") spirit will be great for all of them!