Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sister, Sister


Growing up I always wanted a sister (remember the show the Electric Company? I used to imagine one of the girls on that show was my older sister!). I had a younger brother who I appreciate and adore much more as an adult than I did as a child. We joke that he's doing much better after the years of therapy that he needed to undo the damage I inflicted upon him as a child.

So, you can imagine my sheer delight after each of my ultrasounds! Sisters! Woo-hoo!

Oh my word!

I pictured us all in matching mother/daughter dresses on Easter and tea parties with their stuffed animals, and sugar and spice and everything nice.......

What I didn't picture was too many chiefs and not enough Indians, jealousy, backtalk, and one of them in particular, getting as rough, wild and dirty as good as any boy we know.

Oh, they are precious, don't get me wrong. This is a mere observation, not complaining, because they, like me, are works in progress. I just have to laugh at what I thought my life was going to look like with all these girls in our house. We would be like the Von Trapps (minus Hans and Fritzy or whatever the boys names were) singing songs in coordinating outfits, strolling along, never getting upset when I tell them to turn off Hannah Montana because they already watched it 5 times this week and please brush your hair and take off that stained shirt before we go out, for heaven's sake!!!!

Breathe in, breathe out. First of all, Classic Mama is reading this shaking her head. Hans and Fritzy?? I'm so sorry, it's early and I only have a half a cup of caffeine in me.

Where was I? Oh, sisters. I'm not sure I have a point other than to say for as much as they surprise me with what I didn't expect life to be, they delight me even more. All three of my girls make me feel like "Mom of the Year" pretty much on a regular basis. I receive random, unsolicited acts of kindness throughout the day from each one and we are moving towards them doing this for one another, as well. The age differences matter on some days, but most of the time they have reached a great stage in their lives of playing well all together, as long as they can pick a leader for that day and the other 2 submit. If not, all 3 end up in tears!

I am so excited to see their relationships grow stronger through the years. I've seen them passionately protect one another and the older 2 are really trying to resolve their conflicts without always having to involve me or The Husband. That's a beautiful thing. Now, if I can just get them to stop using the couch or my bed as a trampoline we'll really be making some progress.....

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I can't really relate to the whole "sister" thing. I grew up with one older brother and well, now, we've got Scarlett and Bubba and Not-So-Classic thinks that's probably it. But thank you for the glimpse into the whole sister world.

And, Ahem! Fredrick and Curt. But that's okay. That's what I'm here for. :)

The Gang's Momma! said...

This is such a great glimpse into your life - thanks for the fun reminders of your crazy imagination! I did experience the whole sister thing - and ours sounds much more like your girls than your fantasy :) But they are my best friends, my partners in this journey called life and the ones who "get me" and my weird brain. After all, their brains got warped by the same home mine did :)

Thanks for your lovely commment on my recent post - yes, I am blessed beyond what I can even articulate (although I do seem to be burning up the keypad lately!). And I never take them for granted - God has been good that way.