Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I'll Bet You Never Saw Hand Sanitizer Come out of a Horse's Nose!

I did!

Yesterday, I attended an East Coast conference for promotional product distributors in Atlantic City. My 2 bosses, J & J, who also have been our friends long before I ever worked for them and I drove down. Well, "drive" may not be the right word, J just sort of aimed the car wherever there just happened to be a free 3 inches of space in Philadelphia rush hour (way too reminiscent of driving with The Husband in NYC during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade).

But, we arrived alive (Thank You, Jesus) and started to walk through aisles and aisles of pens, cups, shirts, light up thingies, umbrellas, beauty products, you name it. Along with the hand sanitizer that came out of the horse's nose, we also saw tissue boxes where you pulled the tissue out of a nose. The rep explained they could make the tissue to come out of virtually any body part, ears, eyes, and then he laughed so I'm thinking at some point he made one come out of a butt, I don't know??! But, why would you make a tissue box that made tissue come out of an eye? That's just wrong.

I walked around with the non-driving J and he "trained" me. In exchange, I filled him in on all the fine points of blogging, it was really more like a 30 minute tutorial and he may actually read this, so, J, I expect you to leave a comment so I know you were here!

J and I talked to a rep that gave us some cool hand sanitizer that looked like it was in a pen. He explained that it would last forever (does hand sanitizer regenerate itself?), so our clients could give it out at golf outings instead of expensive shirts and hats that people will just throw away. Yeah, because I know if The Husband gets a $35 PGA golf shirt and a $2o hat at a tournament, he comes home and trashes them so I won't have to wash anything. Uh, I'm not thinking so.

When you are at these shows you get an ID card with a bar code on it and wear it around your neck. This basically replaces handing out a million business cards. It took me awhile to get used to people asking me if they could "scan me". At first I was like, "Dude, I just met you". Haha! Just kidding! I did let some girl rub a jewel tattoo on me that said Vegas Rocks, but thankfully it fell off 5 minutes later (now there's a good product that lasts awhile!).

It was interesting and entertaining and I got lots of stuff. My kids really like me working for J & J since I get to go to shows and bring home lip gloss, stickers, key chains, tattoo's and notepads for them.

I really would've liked the horse thing to bring home as a conversation piece, but it wasn't a sample we were allowed to take! I could call and ask them to mail me one though.....

2 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like a fun day. It was always fun seeing the marketing products drug reps would bring into the physicians offices that I worked at. I often wondered how it related to the product they were trying to sell. I must admit though, I have never seen hand sanitizer come out of a horses nose, but I did have an "enema man" Christmas tree decoration.

Natalie said...

i've been laughing and laughing and laughing about this post since i read it this morning. thanks for helping me envision things that i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have thought of on my own.